Thursday, August 19, 2021

Early minor league cards: prologue

 If there was one area of cards that I really enjoy that has been seriously lacking in my collection, it is pre-1987 minor league cards. I've always been fascinated with them but owned very few. I got very lucky this week, buying a lot with not a lot of information but that seemed to have some older minor league card sets. I thought it might have a fair amount of pre-1987 minor league. It ended up being probably about 3/4 of an 800-count box, including what turned out to be a complete 250-card 1984 Frisch PCL set, and nine minor league team sets from the '70s, going back to 1973. I didn't even realize until a couple of days ago, when Night Owl posted a list, but it had two of the four oldest TCMA sets created. Really pretty amazing. I paid $25 for the lot which seems like a really good deal now that I've had a chance to look at the cards.

I will be spreading this out over several posts, so get ready for a lot of early minor league cards. For now, here is "what else" happened to be in the box.

Several 1990 Classic draft pick cards. Looks like they stole their back design from Donruss.

Some random major league cards. Apparently this guy was hoarding Carl Everett and Brien Taylor cards. I only needed the Skybox and Pacific Everett cards, the rest are available for trade.
Two copies of the 1992 ProCards Fort Lauderdale Yankees set - there's Everett and Taylor. The seller wasn't completely clueless - the Mariano Rivera card was missing from both. One set available to trade.

Same thing with the team-issued set that year. Again, an extra set to trade - possibly most of two sets. Again, no Rivera. I'm certainly fine with breaking the sets up.  I think there are some Brien Taylor collectors out there?


3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for this. Have a few pre 1987 minors cards here and there but not a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I love minor league sets...especially the Red Sox ones, of course.

    ReplyDelete