Tuesday, August 17, 2021

1974 Fleer Pioneers of Baseball

 This is another Laughlin set. I'd never heard of it, but I saw ten cards from 1974 for a dollar on eBay and figured, "why not". Dime vintage is always cool. 

The set is 28 cards total, so this over 1/3 of the set. Nobody remembers Buck Herzog today (apparently he is most famous for a fight with Ty Cobb), but the other four are some of the biggest names in baseball history. 

Lots of key figures from the early days of baseball here. According to the back of the card, Buck Ewing had his mascot spit on his hands before every at bat. Cap Anson's card mentions that he was instrumental in creating the color line in baseball. Roger Bresnahan was the first catcher to wear shinguards.


3 comments:

  1. I like this set as it's one with a lot of really old timers. The only card I have from it is Old Hoss Radbourn, in my Hall of Fame collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these before, but never knew exactly which set they were from. Good buy on your part!

    ReplyDelete