Friday, May 19, 2023

Trade with Stats on the Back

I've been blogging for a long time, and I don't take old blogs off of my blogroll. (Sadly, Blogger doesn't seem to let me add new blogs to it anymore.) Recently, a long-dormant blog called Stats on the Back, which used to have a lot of fun posts about interesting card backs, came back up. Mark, who now runs the very successful IDrawBaseballCards twitter site, had updated his want lists and it showed up in the blogroll. I saw that I could help him out with a lot of it, and reached out to him for a trade. I ended up sending him a couple hundred cards to finish off his "Childhood Collecting" frankentset and help out with a few others. In return, he sent me a really nice package that was a combination of some of my wantlist needs and a lot of fun random cards.

He whittled down some of my needs for recent Topps flagship sets, which is greatly appreciated.

But I think going through random surprise piles like this is a lot more fun.
Some highlights include some unlicensed 90's art cards, and the Heritage News Flashbacks I'm really starting to enjoy more.
A few shiny cards.
Some more random highlights - that 1991 Fleer box card is so weirdly random. Apparently the box cards highlighted the many no-hitters of 1990, but they also would have one card that was a team logo card, which is why there is a Pirates no-hitter (they did not throw a no-hitter that year). That Eckersley card is so weird but funny. And I love getting a new Aaron Judge card!
Mark threw in one of his creations, as well as a couple of unopened packs.
He also sent some vintage needs! All great cards, but Rocky Bridges certainly stands out here.
But these were my favorite of the lot! I really like the 1970 and 1971 Topps Super cards. These are all from 1970. I love how big they are, it allows you to really appreciate the photography. I even like the clacking sound of the heavy cardboard cards banging into each other! Couple of big HOFers there in Williams and McCovey, too.


6 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a copy of that Eckersley card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a box of 1991 Fleer as a door prize at a recent show, and it has a METS "no-hitter" logo card on the box. Of course, the Mets at that time hadn't ever had a no-hitter, with their first one not coming until 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to see old bloggers return. Nice vintage, that '56 Bridges is a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 20-cent Supers! I got one of those from Mark way back in the early blogging days! He must still have a stash of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding out about those '91 Fleer No-Hitters after all of these years was pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete