Sunday, March 12, 2023

Small transaction roundup

A small TCDB trade with Musclebeech netted me several vintage cards, including another 1973 high number need. I still need ten more cards, including eight high numbers. Not sure I'll be able to get the rest from TCDB trades, but I'll probably try a little longer.

Williams3b is a Matt Williams supercollector. I was able to send him a 1990 Donruss variation which he was very appreciate of getting, as well as a few other Dbacks needs. In return, he sent me a very nice 1965 card, and some fun modern needs as well.
Going much farther back in vintage, I was able to win a couple of matchbook lots which had a 1930s Diamond baseball matchcover. This one has Tommy Thevenow, whose career was marred by bad play, bad injuries and bad luck, but was the hitting star of the 1926 World Series.
Silas "Si" Johnson won 101 games for four NL teams. This lot had a football matchbook too. Bill Young had a Pro Bowl season in 1942, the year of this matchbook (there is a 1942 Washington schedule on the back). He then enlisted in the Navy, and was later the head coach at Furman. You may notice a Dick Nixon matchbook from 1960 in the photo as well. In an odd coincidence, Johnson, Young and Nixon all died within a four month period in early 1994.
I picked up some very cheap shiny cards recently too. I had bronze Donruss Preferred cards before but never the shinier silver versions.
Meanwhile I picked up this Cavan Biggio lot to acquire another cheap shiny card.

 

3 comments:

  1. Saw that 1965 Topps Rookie Stars and figured it was a Murakami rookie. I wonder if a lot of teams had multiple rookie stars cards in the set or if the Giants were just loaded that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked it up on COMC and the A's have two, so I'm assuming most teams had two as well.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully we'll get to see a few more of these matchbooks in a future post.

    ReplyDelete