Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Vintage backgrounds: 1973 White Sox

I don't have any '22 Heritage yet, but from what I am seeing on the blogs, they've failed to recreate the quirkiness of the original. For example, the White Sox have some innocuous-looking cards with interesting backgrounds. Part of that may be the fashion differences between 1972 and 2021. That would explain the guy in the purple outfit in the background of Ed Herrmann's card.

Some colorful pants on the back of Wilbur Wood's card. I wonder if they are intentionally supposed to match the White Sox dark red colors. #43, pitcher Dave Lemonds, can be seen in the background.
Lots of fun stuff on the back of Carlos May's card, including a White Sox equipment bag and a water cooler with cups. (I guess most collectors don't care about stuff like that, but I enjoy it.)

 

3 comments:

  1. If only Pat Neshek was still pitching..you know he'd be standing in the background of someone's card wearing a purple jump suit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that the new versions will have anything fun in the background.

    ReplyDelete