Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Finally making a dent in the 1963 set

It's pretty rare to find someone willing to trade vintage cards for modern ones. Jimetal7212 is one of those traders. He's not a blogger but is on TCDB. He sent me over 50 cards from the 1963 set, the set I traditionally have the hardest time getting cards from; this lot almost doubled what I had already. And in return for a bunch of 1991 Upper Deck cards! Well OK, they were hologram variations, I was fortunate to have a lot that he needed. Plus some other variations including 1998 Pinnacle variations I didn't know about. Plus a lot of other modern cards as well. I'm very happy with the cards I received.

Mostly commons in the lot but there were a few big names.
I love the '63 floating-head rookies! A Deacon Jones rookie card is really cool, even if no relation to the NFLer.
It's always fun to get a vintage Ryne Duren card, even if Topps calls him Eli Grba on it. (Wrong photo error card)
Here are two cards that really jumped out to me. The glove on Gus Bell looks so old even for the time. Hey, the guy played so long ago that his grandson is now an MLB manager. And I love the background on Hank Fischer's card, at the Polo Grounds with ads for Coca-Cola and El Producto Cigars.
The first series of '63 is by far the easiest to come across, and all the cards Jimetal sent were from later series. These eleven came from the last two series which are very difficult to come across.
Some really great cartoons on the backs of some of these too. The coin collecting one (Don Lee) is my favorite. "Oh boy! The one I need!" We all know that feeling!
Thanks for the traade, Jimetal!


6 comments:

  1. Getting high # 1963 for modern cards is awesome. I might have to trade with jimetal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they made it there in one piece and you're happy with them. I know the feeling of trying to make a dent in that set. I'm dreading the Rose. There's a show this weekend, hopefully I can knock a few more off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. If you're referring to myself, he put the link at the top of the post.

      Delete
  4. 1963 is a great design. Discovered it a few years after I busted open a bunch of 1983 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat! Most of the card look pretty clean too.

    ReplyDelete