Friday, April 29, 2022

Baseball card stories from Jeff Heaverlo

The son of former major leaguer Dave Heaverlo, Jeff Heaverlo pitched in the Mariners and Angels organizations from 1999 to 2006. His best season was 2001, when he went 11-6 with a 3.12 ERA at AA San Antonio. Overall in 162 games he went 41-33 with a 4.32 ERA. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I remember 3 guys always asking for us to sign cards after games (same guys every night) with a stack of cards. I signed one of each and thanked them for coming out to watch. After a 4 or 8 game stretch and the same people were there every night, I had to politely decline. 

I was also photographed wearing a tie-dye jersey for a card. Rather embarrassing! 


 My favorite card is Walt Weiss 1989 Topps card!!! He looked like a tank. He’s my favorite position player of all time given the fact I was born when my dad pitched for Billy Martin in Oakland in ‘78. 

 

David Cone is who I wanted to be like. The only cards I collect were of my father...to put in the spikes of my bicycle to make it sound like a motorcycle."

Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection.




5 comments:

  1. He gave you a little more material to work with than usual. Good on him for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Dave Heaverlo when he was on the Giants and pitching against the Dodgers. He was a pretty imposing figure and being a set collector, I'm pretty sure I've got quite a few Dave Heaverlo cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Billy didn't manage the A's until the early 80's (Billy Ball Era). But according to Baseball Reference, Jeff was born in 1978 and his father did pitch for the A's that season. And he did eventually pitch for Billy, but that was in 1981.

    Regardless... I'm a fan of Walt's 1989 Topps card too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know what to think if I were Dave...collect cards of me to put on the bicycle wheels?

    ReplyDelete