Sunday, April 3, 2022

Art on the back: 1969

In 1969 Topps went back to a horizontal format on the back, giving the art more room to shine.

One new aspect of many of the cartoons was having one number dominate much of the cartoon.
There were plenty of fun or unusual cartoons in the set. The use of a dictator's hat for the Dominican League was an interesting choice.
Anthropology + zoology = dinosaur?
Tony Conigliaro had a few radio hits in Boston and was signed to a contract by RCA, but the beaning that disrupted his baseball career also ended his chance at musical stardom. Ironically, he was marketed as a clean-cut alternative to long-haired rock acts.
Joe Torre's forgotten career as a stock broker.

It's worth noting that the managers got a full cartoon back on their cards, including a detailed portrait.




4 comments:

  1. These might be the greatest manager card backs of all-time.

    By the way... Tony Conigliaro's cartoon inspired me to track down some of his music. Even though I wouldn't listen to his stuff on a regular basis, I was impressed. Not sure how to classify the sound... maybe 60's pop. I could picture them being used in a 60's beach movie. If I were a diehard Red Sox fan, I'd probably try and track down the 45's he has out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice illustrations there. I would have loved going through these card backs as a kid. (Also, I thought I saw a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon for a second there.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Anthropology + zoology = dinosaur?" That made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete