Friday, April 15, 2022

Nickel chrome

Not something I'd do every time, but once in a while . . . I picked up a lot of 30 2019 Topps Chrome cards for $1.40 shipped. Less than a nickel apiece. I don't totally get the appeal of Chrome. What is the purpose of the outline of the player, for example? I like to get a few from each year but don't feel the need to complete the sets.

Some fairly big names in the lot. Not huge stars but nice to have.

Two dupes as trade bait. You have the Yankees' current third baseman and the guy who will be called up to replace him when he is inevitably hurt.





5 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of Topps Chrome, even back when it was a new thing, it just felt lazy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cant go wrong with nickel Chromes. Even though the grey/silver gets repetitive after a while (especially in recent years due to Panini Prizm and OPC Platinum) I still gravitate toward them in low-end trades and nickel/dime boxes. I'm very close to completing the 2018 Chrome set, but 2019 is nice too ;)

      Delete
  3. I've never been a fan of Topps Chrome or Bowman for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. The best thing about Topps Chrome are the refractors. That's when the outline of the players truly come into play.

    B. The only year I went a little obsessive over Chrome was 2019. There was a guy on eBay selling sets, but he'd substitute ten to twenty cards with random refractors. In the end, I bought five or six sets, completed for or five sets, and had a nice stack of refractors.

    ReplyDelete