Saturday, September 11, 2021

Dean Rennicke on baseball cards

Dean Rennicke pitched five years in the Dodgers organization. In 103 games he went 37-35 with a 4.79 ERA. Now the Vice President of the Concordia University Foundation, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

" Truly if you look back at some of our early 80’s Albuquerque Dukes teams they could compete today in the Big Leagues. Some incredible talent.  Truly I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to play in a great organization like the Dodgers.

  • My Dad bought me my first pack of cards at a convenience store in Winter Haven, FL where at the time the Boston Red Sox trained.  My first card ever, Don Mossi, Pitcher for the KC A’s. I was 7 years old and I was hooked.  No way did I ever think that I would ever be on a card.
  • All my Albuquerque Dukes teammates are my favorite cards, so blessed to have played with so many talented players. Look at some of those teams, filled with Big Leaguers and great guys, wonderful Managers and Coaches.
  • I stopped collecting cards but kept many of my childhood cards. 
  • Miscellaneous Thoughts – I am a HUGE uniform guy, Dodgers Home, Tigers Home, Red Sox Home, Expos, A’s the first of the teams to do white spikes and bright colors (FANTASTIC), Giants Vida Blue Orange, Angels with the Halo on the Cap, Astros Rainbows (While I didn’t like them, every amateur team in America had them as their uni’s.), the White Sox Red Pinstripes of the 70’s, etc…

God bless enjoy the great game of baseball and cards."

Thanks!




2 comments:

  1. Love these posts. Also love when I send ttm requests and the player answers my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool that he was able to remember his first card after all of this time.

    ReplyDelete