Saturday, December 9, 2023

Rudy Law on baseball cards

Outfielder Rudy Law played seven seasons in the major leagues for the Dodgers, White Sox and Royals. His best season was 1983, when he hit .283 with 3 HR, 34 RBI, and a White Sox record 77 stolen bases. In the ALCS he hit .389 with two more stolen bases. Overall in 749 major league games he hit .271 with 18 HR, 199 RBI and 228 SB. Now a youth baseball instructor in California, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I remember one baseball card I was in my practice jersey. We were in Texas and I had a bat on my shoulder and it had white tape on it. I knew I wasn't playing that day so I had a mean look on my face.

 

My favorite card was me with my practice jersey on, kneeling on one knee and smiling."


 Thanks! He provided the second photo, noting that it was his favorite card. It appears to be a custom. It doesn't match his description but I couldn't find any other cards that do.



5 comments:

  1. That's really cool that Rudy remembered the story behind that 84F card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A longtime favorite player of mine. That custom features a familiar pose of Law that showed up in the Dodgers' team picture packs (black & white) and, yeah, he's not kneeling. (81 Fleer has him kneeling but he's not smiling).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the picture on his Wikipedia page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while, and he's probably not that into trading cards anyway, so it's easy to see why he might be mixing them up and/or misremembering.

    ReplyDelete