Monday, December 25, 2023

Laminated pin-up posters

I probably spent too much on this, or maybe it's a good buy if you consider it one-of-a-kind.

A near-complete set of 1967 Topps Pin-Up Posters, including the Mantle. $40 was probably too much, even if I rationalize it as $20 for the Mantle and $20 for everyone else. But I think it's not too bad considering that the lamination, in my opinion, actually improves the condition. The regular pin-ups, which were inserts in packs, are basically newspaper and very flimsy. They also have very prominent fold marks after 56 years of being folded. These posters are sturdy and the fold marks are barely visible. The photos really look good at this size, you can see lots of detail like the fabric of the players' uniforms. These really are one-of-a-kind, or close to it.

Part one of three. You bet I left the Mantle on my desk for a few days before putting it away. Anyone else have a "desk card" either permanently or temporarily?

Part two of three. Some of these look quite similar to base card photos, others quite different.
Part three. In terms of photography the Joe Morgan is my favorite. Something about that sky just pulls me in.

I had a few from this set already including three that weren't in this lot. I gave a little thought to spending $20 on a laminating machine, but quickly thought of three reasons not to. (1. Don't need to spend more on this lot than I already did. 2. What if I want to switch out a poster later on if I get a dupe in different condition? 3. What if I screw up? Look at that Pepitone for example, laminated while ripped.)

So I decided to do a fake lamination with the other three. I cut up a couple of one-pocket sheets, each one was big enough to fit two posters. I cut some cereal cardboard for backing and taped the holes, keeping the plastic as taut as possible. Not professional-grade by any means, and you can still see the folds, but it's acceptable and helps keep these posters roughly similar to the others. I store them in a little box in numerical order, so they don't seem too far out of place.

Now I have a few extras, non-laminated posters available for trade. #10 Cardenas, #14 Callison, #16 Drysdale, #28 Marichal.

And on the chance anyone has extras, most of my remaining needs are commons: #7 F. Howard, #11 Clemente, #17 Knoop, #24 L. Wagner, #29 M. Alou, #32 McCovey. 

Certainly don't need to trade poster-for-poster though.


7 comments:

  1. I'd say it was a great deal. The cheapest Mantle on Comc right now is $60.00 in poor-fair condition. $100.0 VG and $200.0 for the nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 24 of them for 40$? I don't see how that's a bad deal. Especially with all the stars you got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my Mantle for $16.00 in April 2021 as it had a small tear that the middle fold caused with years of storage. Not really noticeable when displayed. Nice price for the total set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say that was a nice deal. They look real nice laminated. Lamination is good when it is still intact, but when it starts getting worn and damaged like that Pepitone it makes one wonder "why bother?" Well the remaining ones that are still in great shape would be a good enough reason to "bother".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's a very good deal - a lot of star-power and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you got a great deal. As for permanently displayed desk cards... I have a bunch. There are several Bernese Mountain dogs...along with some Goodwin Champions map relics... a Twins ticket with Kurt Suzuki, and a relic card of him to go along with it.

    Hope you had a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in with the "it was a good price" crowd. I wouldn't even thought to laminate something like this, but it seems to have worked really well. Plus too, if you ever were so inclined, you should be able to carefully remove them from the lamination.

    ReplyDelete