Saturday, December 16, 2023

Latest vintage star pickups

Here are the latest eBay wins.

With the Greg Morris auctions I was kind of responsible, not bidding more than $2-3 on most cards. I feel like I still won too many that I don't care enough about to spend $2-3 on. This is already from two weeks ago (it takes a while for the cards to cross country) and in the two Fridays since I've lowered how much I bid on most cards and have been happier with the fewer cards I got. No disrespect to fine players like Richie Ashburn and Luis Aparicio, but I probably don't need to be spending much more than common-card prices on them. The one card I spent a lot on was the '39 Play Ball Red Ruffing ($15). The fake signature helped bring down the price on a 1930s Yankee HOFer.

$2 is pretty good for a '60 Cepeda, when it comes with a couple of other cards that can be trade bait.
$28 shipped is pretty good for a '61 or '65 Aaron, OK for a '62 All Star Aaron. But $28 for all three? This is definitely one of my better pickups.
This was a $2 impulse buy. It's my first '62 Post football. I thought the photo would look better on the card, but the image is a little muddy. Still, it's a Tarkenton rookie and that's not bad.
$2 for a league leader card with three HOFers and three Bobs.
I don't usually splurge on vintage Kelloggs but $2 for a vintage Rose is always a good deal.
$6 was probably an overpay for this one. The paragraph on the back is almost entirely about Rigney, with just a sentence about Mays on the end.
Finally, another card that I let sit on my desk for a full day before putting away. My first Mantle multi-star card! It's a nice one with Bobby Richardson and Tom Tresh (not Tresh and Richardson as the card implies). A little over $20 is as good as I could have hoped, and I really like it.


5 comments:

  1. Nice pick ups. The floating '62 floating heads cards are just funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of great stuff - love the Ruffing & Aarons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the way you've been going, some of your sets must be coming along pretty well. I have the Post Tarkenton too, I think all of the printings for it were, as you said, muddy.

    ReplyDelete