Saturday, December 30, 2023

Henthorn of plenty

 Got another stuffed PWE from OBCer Greg Henthorn that is big enough to be worthy of its own post.

Starting off with some oddballs, one over 20 years older than the others. I love those '51 Topps cards! And I'm also a fan of the '73 Kelloggs where you can actually see the photo. The Hostess card is an error - the photo is Lee May, not Milt May.

Four from 1962 Topps, highlighted by Elston Howard getting congratulations for his Game 1 homer in the 1961 World Series.
Speaking of New York baseball legends, there are several more here, if you count Willie Mays and the other legacy NY Giants on the '61 SF Giants card. There are 1950s Yankees heroes Billy Martin and Don Larsen playing for other teams in the 1960s, and Don Newcombe as a Brooklyn Dodger on a 1961 Topps card, when he was winding up his playing career with Cleveland. Jack Harshman did start his career with the NY Giants, losing both of his games there, but later had success with the White Sox and Indians.

 

5 comments:

  1. Hostess and Kelloggs did have plenty of errors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some big names here. I think my favorite is the 61T Billy Martin. Even though he had already been playing in the Bigs for over a decade... he still looks so young. Then again... I mainly remember him for the Billy Ball years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '73 is my favorite year for Kellogg's. I too like that the photo is clearer, I really like the design, and I like that one doesn't have to worry about them cracking.

    ReplyDelete