Saturday, March 19, 2022

Ranger lot

This lot is kind of similar to the Dodgers lot I got recently, though a lot smaller. Advertised at 100+ cards, it was about 140. I put the minimum bid ($8 shipped) and I guess there weren't any Rangers fans out there so I ended up with it.

Like the Dodgers lot, there was one particular recent Stadium Club card that caught my eye. This one wasn't any kind of fancy short-print. In an era of orchestrated celebrations where there don't seem to be many genuine "characters" in baseball, the antics between Elvis Andrus and Adrian Beltre really stood out to me. I didn't know there was a card of Andrus trolling Beltre, but when I saw it I knew I wanted it. A genuinely fun, unique card.

"What, me worry?" Here's another fun card that was in there.

This was one of several Mothers Cookies cards in the lot, it seems they did a lot of Nolan Ryan-specific cards during his stint with the Rangers.

The lot was very Ryan-heavy which I don't mind at all. He's always been a big name, a hard-to-get guy to complete sets. It amazes me that someone who is in a set like '94 Leaf is also one of the most-valued cards in each Topps set from the late 60s and early 70s.

This was one of those "vintage to modern" lots. There was very little vintage, just three cards from the team's Washington Senators days. Of these I only needed the '64 Stenhouse. The '68 Casanova (high number!) and '71 team card (Ted Williams sighting!) are available for trade.

The modern cards were the usual mix of junk wax and more modern stuff. A nice surprise with the junk wax was that most of the '87 and '88 Fleers turned out to be the glossy parallels. Here are some of the cards that stood out to me as the shiniest in the lot.






6 comments:

  1. That Andrus card is awesome! Pretty sure it's Beltre trolling Andrus there. Regardless... love that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 94 Leaf Nolan Ryan is fantastic and I have no idea how I haven't seen it before.

    Got your trade package today. Thanks! The matchbooks were super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you got a lot of interesting cards for very little money. The helping of Mother's Cookies are my favorites here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peak of junk wax lined up pretty perfectly with Nolan Ryan's Rangers days. I remember a handful of Nolan-only sets from the early 90s, nice pickup here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely interested in that 1971 Topps Senators team card. Also, did you get any Mother's Cookies cards of Jeff Russell? I'd be interested in those, too.

    ReplyDelete