Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Art on the back: 1967 Topps

The 1967 Topps set is a favorite of mine, and of many other collectors as well. The fronts showcase the photos very nicely, and the backs have a great dark green color that really stands out. One thing the set does not do well is showcase the cartoons - they are really small, especially for eyes that are not so young anymore. Which is too bad because there are lots of fun cartoons in the set.

Here's an example: The stats dominate, and the cartoons get just a tiny amount of space. I could barely tell that was supposed to Wills outracing Hermes.

I could only read the word bubbles in this cartoon by magnifying it with my phone when I took the photo. (One is saying "catch!" and the other is saying "if you insist!" Not sure what it even has to do with being cousins.)

One theme that repeated in this set was players going to the movies. Looks like the cartoonist is having Orlando Pena watch a man and woman kissing.

Which means, I assume that Aurelio Monteagudo is watching a man and a horse kissing?

And I don't know what's going on in the film Ossie Chavarria is watching, but I don't think that cowboy is going to treat that lady very nicely . . .

Here's some others I enjoyed or have comments on.




The cartoon for the Zoology degree looks like they slapped a caption on a cartoon meant for someone being traded to the Tigers (which Wagner never was). The briefcases make me think it wasn't originally intended for this cartoon.
I can't figure out what a consecutive-game errorless streak has to do with throwing numbers in the garbage, or why the ballplayer and lady are so glum about it. I guess they are unhappy the streak is over?

This one stands out as the cartoons are much smaller and the print a lot larger. Something must have happened to the cartoons in production.
OK, the cartoons aren't the story here. I love the editorializing by the original owner of the card.

I get the guy on the right being a classical pirate costume. But who is the guy in the overalls? Also, I have a feeling the cartoon of Brandon trading his cowboy outfit for red socks was drawn when the Houston team was still called the Colt .45s, not Astros.

I couldn't read the side of the truck without magnifying with my phone. (Texas Money Truck)
I can't figure out what "Grrrr!" has to do with the Puerto Rican league.
This one is not for the cartoon; the first sentence of Hal Reniff's bio made me laugh.







5 comments:

  1. I've always thought one panel would've been enough for the '67 backs. Maybe they had the panels done before they decided on the layouts for the back? At any rate I've never done a deep-dive on the cartoons because they're too small. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I get the guy on the right being a classical pirate costume. But who is the guy in the overalls?"

    I'm thinking it's a steelworker.. like a reference to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Dang. Jaster signed a $60,000 bonus contract. 55 years later... receiving a bonus like that would be huge for a lot of us.

    B. I wonder how many current MLB players list archery as their hobby or have a degree in zoology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post! I don't recall seeing the 67/68 cartoons analyzed before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone really disliked poor Mike De La Hoz!

    ReplyDelete