Saturday, March 5, 2022

It pays to read the comments

It can pay off to read the comments on other blogs. I've gotten a couple of trades out of doing so recently. One gave me a heads-up to a set a certain blogger was thinking of starting; I owed him some cards and he has a tough tradelist. Another example of this recently was reading a comment from The Diamond King on The Collector's blog. He offered him a trimmed Roy Campanella for his '56 Topps setbuild. The Collector wasn't interested but I sure was! Most of my '56's are in rough shape anyway, with lots of trimming involved, so this card fits right in. What a fantastic card of an all-time great!

As you can see, nothing important was lost on the back either. I found the quote "I need a bigger house" coupled with his home being in Glen Cove, NY, interesting. Glen Cove is a very wealthy area, and according to a New York Times article about his career-ending card accident, he lived in a "$40,000 ten-room ranch house". The quote is from this article, which has some interesting details about the accidentl. Recently the house at Campanella's address (not the same house, this one was built in 1976) sold for over $2M.
Kevin also generously threw in this fantastic card from 1963 Topps! Fantastic card of two of the greatest players of all time, Sure, a tiny bit is missing off the top (burned off?) but again, nothing significant is missing.
Kevin didn't even ask for anything back in return but I am going to try to put together a nice return for him.


8 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'd definitely take a free Campy any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful old cards, even if the condition is slightly less than mint. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice of Kevin to send those cards your way. I know how much you appreciate well-loved vintage. The story of Campanella's home/address is interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! 56's are really starting to grow on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trimmed cards need to be loved too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anybody not read the comments? I consider those part of the post, and can't imagine not reading them.

    ReplyDelete