Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Burying the lede

I picked up a lot of 650 cards for a little under $40 from eBay. Mix of mostly modern stuff with some vintage. Comes out to a little more than a nickel a card. 

Let's start with the modern which was about 600 of the 650 cards. 

At least half the cards were Pacific from the mid- to late-'90s which is great because I don't have a lot of those. Lots of stars, and lots of those color parallels that Pacific loved to do.

Lots of Yankee stars! The David Wells is my favorite.
Some cards from a set I'd never seen before, Pacific Backyard Baseball.
I already had this whole set. Not a full set here; some but not all the stars were weeded out.
Here's a cool set from Pacific (not all of the cards from the set). The Nolan Ryan one is more well-known but they also did one for Tom Seaver. I especially liked the card with "Plasido Domingo". The back of the card referred to a prank Seaver pulled on the singer, which can be seen here.
Here's most of the rest. Despite all those '91 Studios, there weren't any of the three common cards I need to finish that set. Lots of cards from '02 and '04 Topps which I already had. I needed those five '87 Leafs and many of the other cards in this part of the lot.
Two of the more interesting cards in the miscellany were a very shiny Frank Thomas insert and a Topps promo card of Dr. Jim Beckett.

On to the vintage.

Mid-70's. All available for trade.

Seven from '71. Rich Morales was my only need here.


 Seven from '68. I did better here; Epstein, Brinkman and the Von Hoff high number were all needs.

 Some of the '65s in the lot. Of these only the Menke was a dupe. I needed the rest. 


 Yes, both Series I checklists were needs as they were the two different Cannizzaro variations.


 1964. From here I needed one of the checklists, Johnson, Bell and one of the Reds Rookies cards.


 1959. I already had all three so they are all available.


 1958. Pendleton and Taylor are available for trade.


I had to comment on the backs of the '58s. I've noted a few times how Topps was hit-or-miss with depicting Black players as white in the cartoons. Both of these card backs are for Black players. I've never seen a cartoon like the one on the Bob Thurman.


 Here's the rest of the '65s. This is why I named the blog post "Burying the Lede". The cards were photographed in piles, and both of the AL Home Run leader cards were visible in the pile, but in both cases you could only see Killebrew and Powell. If you didn't know this was a Mantle card you couldn't tell from the seller's photo, which is why I think this lot went a lot cheaper than it should. I'm thrilled to get this card, as vintage Mantles are so hard to come by. Really nice photo of Mantle. Killebrew too. Those other two league leader cards are really nice as well.

 

So now I have two copies of a pretty major card from the '65 set. This is one of the most valuable cards I've ever had available for trade, and I'd like to get something pretty good back for it. I'm open to offers - definitely vintage only, and probably only stars or older cards. Maybe another league leaders card with Mantle on it (there's another one in the '65 set). So, best offer, not first to claim it. As you can see the front looks quite nice (happy to trade the better one). There is writing on the back, very similar on both cards:


 I think one of the few benefits of the recent baseball card craze is that a lot of flippers who don't understand vintage don't know how to value what they have. I think that's what happened here. With the (2!) Mantles and all those Pacifics, I'm satisfied I got good value out of this lot.




5 comments:

  1. Very nice. Pacifics are cool and not that easy to find, and those Mantle league leaders are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of nice cards there - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding burying the lede! That's a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that there pretty common, but I still like that Classic set. That design is one of young me's all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete