Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Hollywood bit players on baseball cards: Part 16

Today's bit player had a brief acting career in the 1980s. He had tiny roles in a couple of TV movies, the 1981 Mike Hammer film Margin for Murder and 1982's Portrait of a Showgirl. His biggest and last role came in the 1986 film Gung Ho, where he played Luke. 

Did you recognize former Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis? He appeared in the Pittsburgh-based film alongside Pirates fan Michael Keaton. He had gotten to meet director Ron Howard through some of the anti-drug work Ellis was involved with after his baseball career ended.

Here are Ellis's first and last Topps cards. I'm missing his 1972 to have a complete run.





3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I remember seeing that movie but there's no way I would have recognized him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I saw the Mike Hammer pictures, and even if I had known he was in there, I wouldn't have known who he was at the time, so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Gung Ho, but back in 1986 I probably didn't know who Dock was.

    ReplyDelete