Tuesday, October 5, 2021

A major amount of minor league cards

Today I got a huge box of cards from A Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts. After my last minor league acquisition, Jon let me know about a big box of minor league cards that he owned but didn't really fit his collection. He sent me the box and it was filled with several hundred fun minor league cards, from the early 80s to the early 90s and beyond.

Jon even generously threw in some awesome 1930s matchcovers - all of which are New York City, with Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn all represented.

And these postcards from World War I, from one of his occasional giveaways.

One of them is even stamped, addressed and postmarked. I don't know if that technically increases or decreases the value but it certainly makes it more interesting. P.J. Whelan in Zimmerman, MN writing to William Whelan in Reading, MN - "Best wishes to all from your brother".

I know not all of you find that stuff interesting, so here is a baseball card. It's the 1989 Bakersfield Dodgers trainer, Tim Terio, standing in front of Bill Wengert's locker, with Wengert's 1988 Great Falls Dodgers card clearly visible on his locker.

And here's a card of an actual baseball player. Shot in the clubhouse at his locker next to the Pepsi machine!








2 comments:

  1. I actually have those two Bakersfield Dodgers cards. In typical me fashion I never noticed the cards attached to the lockers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how often aeroplanes made their way onto matchbook covers, but I really liked the La Guardia one, even briefly thought about keeping it for myself -- only briefly though :)

    ReplyDelete