Sunday, February 19, 2023

Two wins, two captains

I won back-to-back contests at Johnny's Trading Spot. Johnny sent me two PWEs worth that must have come out of the "M" box. Most of these were beloved former Yankee captains, Thurman Munson and Don Mattingly.

Here are the Munson's. I needed three of them, including the fantastic shiny one which is my favorite of these cards.

Many Mattinglys. I needed three, including those two '85 Donruss Highlights. I don't have nearly as many of those as I do '86 and '87, so they were great to add.
Continuing the M theme with these Johnnies from Johnny. Two cards of Mize with the Yankees, one with the NY Giants. Finally, one other NY Giant, George Kelly. I often get modern NY Giants cards from other bloggers because they look like Yankees cards. I'm not a team collector, so I'm happy to get them.


2 comments:

  1. My buddy and I were just talking about Mattingly yesterday and he mentioned how similar his numbers were to Puckett's... yet he's not in the hall of fame, but Kirby is. After I checked... the numbers are very close. Maybe Puckett got the nod because of his 2 WS rings... and the fact that he played in centerfield, while Mattingly played first base. But Donnie Baseball did manage to have win 9 Gold Glove Awards. Gotta imagine Mattingly gets the call in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older Johnny Mize on the Baseball Immortals is pretty neat. I don't think that I've seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete