Thursday, February 9, 2023

Licensed and unlicensed

I used TCDB to match up a fun trade with Wax Pack Wonders. It's fun searching someone's tradelist and finding cards you'd never seen before. I ended up with a really nice variety of different kinds of cards.

With any envelope from Jeff, always make sure to check out the stamps. There's a 1980 US Olympic stamp, and a 1979 Albert Einstein here.

A couple of nice 1960s needs.
Some Yankees needs.
Oddballs! Well, maybe Sportflics isn't an oddball but it doesn't fit any other categories. I've certainly never seen a picture of Tim Raines playing second base, that's a true oddball! He originally came up as a second baseman, played in 53 games there before moving to the outfield.
Moving into unlicensed territory with a couple of cards from 80's baseball magazines, ripping off 50's Topps designs.
Now into full-on unlicensed territory with some Broder-type cards. These cards are called "Golden Superstars" but just look orange to me. You hear a lot about yellow-bordered baseball cards. Orange-bordered designs seem to be even rarer, or maybe I'm just blanking out on something obvious, because I can't think of any off the top of my head.
A few other "Broders" of various designs. My favorite photo is the middle Canseco shot, with the fans in the Yankee Stadium stands so clearly visible you can look and see if there is anyone you know.


 

7 comments:

  1. Those Golden Superstars look similar to a magazine cut-out set from around that era. Not sure if it's the same thing though, the edges look too perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy that after 30 years, new Broders continue to pop up. And I realize we'll never know the answer... but I'm curious as to which player has the most Broders out there. Gotta figure Canseco has to be in the Top 10... maybe even the Top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those orange Broders are great. I really like their rounded corners.

    ReplyDelete