Wednesday, February 15, 2023

TCDB Transaction #36

My trading on TCDB has certainly ramped up. It's really a great resource. There seems to be some very good traders there, though there are others who will ignore your trade request or not reply after they've sent you one. The good definitely outnumber the bad, though.

I'll always prioritize bloggers over TCDBers, and it's great to see my bloggers using the platform. TCDB Transaction #36 for me was #1 for The Angels, in Order (aka calangels). 

Four of the cards in the transaction were 1960s Angels cards. Lots more blue sky on these. 

There was one modern card too. This A-Rod rookie completes my 1995 Ultra set!
Tom threw in a surprise card too! I love the trippy look of this card, including Maloney getting the multi-colored eye treatment, like a dazed-and-confused Max Scherzer.
The back is great too. The overly large Angels logo looks airbrushed, but Maloney was coming from the Reds who famously don't allow facial hair. Though I think even as late as 1970 mustaches were quite rare in baseball?
I looked it up and it seems most sources list the '71 Richie Allen as the first card with a mustache. Kept looking and found an article on a website called "The Sports Daily" with a byline by someone named Alan Draper. It mentions that there are three cards in the '71 set with a mustache. Only at the bottom of the article, it is revealed that it is actually a reprint of a blog post by one of everyone's favorite bloggers, Night Owl, referring to him as "the lead dog over at Night Owl Cards". I wonder who's got the other '71 mustache?


6 comments:

  1. I'm running out of vintage trade partners on TCDB as my wantlist shrinks. But it has been a great source of trades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realize the back of that beat up '71 filler card would get so much attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked that '95 Ultra A-Rod. And I'll have to see if I can swing a trade with the resident Angels fan now that he's active again :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, whatever Sports Daily is reprinted this blog post (without permission, of course):

    https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2013/11/if-you-cant-join-em-count-em.html

    I don't recall the 3 guys in '71 Topps with mustaches and I'm way too tired to figure it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Sports Daily, but have never seen the site; and if this is how they operate, I don't think that I ever will.

    ReplyDelete