Monday, February 27, 2023

Expanded baseball cards

This was something I had done for a few cards for a previous post. One commenter mentioned that I should turn it into a series, and I had been considering that myself. If you'd like to see this as a series, let me know in the comments. If I don't get much response, I'll get the message and won't make it a series.

Basically, it's a new way to look at certain cards of which I have many copies. Sometimes the cropping or background are just right that aligning the cards in a certain way gives a 3-D effect, or appears to widen the view, or just otherwise makes an interesting change to the photograph.

Starting with some cards from 1988 Topps, partially because the design has gotten alot of love lately with the 2023 release, and partly because I happened to have my box of cards from this set easily at hand.

I've had this card for 35 years but never noticed the background before. Is that a candy bar, maybe Butterfinger?

Big centerfield fence at Anaheim Stadium.
Spiderman.
Long batting cage.
Big stairway.
Extra-long bat.
Extremely long bat.
Not as long a bat, but I really like this photo of Carter.
Another big star at the time.
Toronto dugout.
Long green dugout (spring training?)
I love the cropping of this photo, you don't get wide shots like these anymore. Had to do something with it.
Lots of empty seats.
Different kind of 3D effect.
Four trees.
Big crowd behind Bryn.
Yellow dugout roof in Oakland.

 


7 comments:

  1. I may have been the commenter who suggested this (and if I wasn't, I was thinking it!) It gets my stamp of approval for a series of fun light-hearted posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda cool. Some work really well, others not as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few of these are hypnotizing. The bat ones especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of what I would do with scrapbooks when I had multiples of a picture, usually an ad or photo from a magazine. It has been 30 years or so since I've actively worked on a "scrapbook". I have a few that I have been meaning to censor (by redoing) some of the pages that have excessive nudity.

    ReplyDelete