Saturday, February 18, 2023

TCDB trade: 88gibby

The other 50-card package I received from an extremely nice trader was from a Dodgers fan with the appropriate handle 88gibby. He sent me a terrific package of mostly vintage card needs.

Starting with the oldest cards, four 1960s and a 1961, highlighted by that AL Kings card. Nellie Fox is in the Hall of Fame, but at the time this card came out Harvey Kuenn was probably the bigger star.

Lots of 1962 needs! Some of these will be in future Wood vs. Wood posts.
Four from the mid-60s.
Five from 1968, including some high numbers. The A's color combination looks so unusual in that team photo.
Three from 1971. Steve Hamilton certainly had a unique autograph.
Three 1972s, including one big-name! I'd always admired that McCovey card from afar. I used to think he was following-through on a swing, though I now realize he is in a throwing motion. I chose this card because it was only graded as "good" which to me means the card has serious problems, and figured the seller would let it go for not much. While it's a little more creased than it appears in the photo, it's a lot more than "good" for me.
Some 1970s oddballs! The great view on Gene Tenace's card is my favorite. It's a 1975 card, but with the old Yankee Stadium location the photo can't have been later than 1973.
Finally, a few modern cards. Three HOFers that I still needed from 1986 Sportflics.


4 comments:

  1. Love Wood vs. Wood. Looking forward to more.

    Nice McCovey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought McCovey was swinging a bat on his '72 Topps card myself. Guess I never looked at it that closely.

    With all these vintage pickups I'm waiting to see when you will complete a set from the '60s or early '70s. It looks like you're getting very close on a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of those '62s look awfully sharp. Solid group of Hostesses, too!

    ReplyDelete