Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Thrift shop fun

I hit the thrift shop over the weekend. Went in to kill some time and ending up buying a few different things.

There were a lot less sports cards than last time. On a whim I chose a box of '92 Leaf Black Gold. About 100 cards, a little duplication but not bad. The ones one the left I need, the ones on the right I had already, so I guess I came out ahead. Gwynn, in the trade stack, was easily the best player in the box. If you are working on this set, I can certainly help you out.

I couldn't resist an early 80s Giants pack.
Out of the 30 cards these were the only ones I needed. I underestimated how many Giants cards from this era I had already. '84 really is a gap in my football collection. Harry Carson is the best player and photo here.
I picked up a few loose cards too. The two on the left I already had and are up for trade. Goose is a Burger King card. I've never had a Tuff Stuff card before, so that is cool. My favorite though is the '86 Harry Carson.
I did much better with these vintage "cards". I consider them cards, they're in the Beckett and TCDB listings. Jay Publishing put out oversize photo sets for a variety of teams in the 1960s. I forget exactly how much I paid for these but they were a good deal. These seven are from the '65 Mets.
Five from the original '62 Mets.
And four from the legendary '61 Yankees!
Starting to deviate from the sports cards theme, I picked up a tray with hundreds of bottle caps for $10. I'd always wanted a bottle cap collection but wasn't impressed with what was available online. This scratched that itch big-time. I love the two different kinds of Pepsi caps, and the Hills Korvette is very interesting to me, Korvette was a NYC-area department store that merged with a supermarket called Hills toward the end of their existence. There's not a lot of Hills Korvette items out there. There was plenty of duplication, especially Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew and 7-Up but others as well, if anyone out there collects this sort of thing too. These appear to be 1960s and maybe early '70s.
But this was really cool - several dozen Giants and Jets Coke bottle caps from the mid-60s. There was some duplication so if there is someone you collect let me know. So far there is only one Joe Namath. I say "so far" because quite a few still have the cork covering the player! Any suggestions for the best way to remove the cork?
One more purchase, I think this was a great buy for $3. Not something I'd likely every come across again. It is an October 1969 Pennysaver from Valley Stream, a nearby town to me. If you are only here for the sports stuff, you can leave now. For those that do find this sort of thing interesting, here are some highlights from my initial glance through the publication.
Radio Shack at Friendly Frost. Friendly Frost was an LI/NYC electronics chain. Defunct since the 1970s or 1980s, there is still an existing sign in Brooklyn that will be in a future Wallet Card post.
For those that enjoy cars of this era.
A quick sports break - a random Dick Butkus cartoon.

A bit of a sports break here too, with the Twins cap on the little boy. As you look at the ads on the left you can see that all-numeric phone-numbers were rapidly taking over, but there were still some alpha-numeric holdouts.
I took this picture for a few reasons. I liked the LO1-9040 number, and how 1969 is the "next to Plaidland" reference. (Turns out it was a trading stamp redemption center, not an all-plaid clothing store.) And check out that last ad at the right.
Finally, a couple more full-page car ads.



10 comments:

  1. I used to have quite a few Coke caps with players in them. They came from Coke, Fresca and TAB. I had quite a few Minnesota Twins as I live in central Minnesota. Sold them a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thrift store pickups! Haven't found anything close to that in the ones near me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked up a lot of stuff that I like but have basically banned myself from adding due to space concerns. Love old publications and bottle caps (used to collect those as a kid). Jay Publishing photos are cool, too, but I limit myself to Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes you did. Great grabs. Really like those old Pepsi caps. (hint hint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gavin is building that Black gold leaf set.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, if I can scrape up some more needs for you, Bo, I'd be happy to trade for some help with the set.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you should be hitting up this place more often. I don't collect bottle caps, and surprisingly, have never been inclined to want to, but like a lot of things that I don't collect, I still don't mind hearing about them. That Pennysavers is really neat too. It's got you written all over it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought that 1992 Leaf Black Gold set a year or two ago, but a handful of the cards were damaged. If you have any of these, I'd love to trade for them... or buy them:

    4 David Howard
    7 Joe Oliver
    13 Mike Mussina
    16 Mark McGwire
    22 Joe Hesketh
    25 Rex Hudler
    54 Carlos Hernandez
    317 Ryne Sandberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way... that PennySaver is pretty cool with the car ads and the Butkus cartoon. I'm sure most people tossed them out or recycled them, so that's a pretty cool piece of history.

      Delete