Monday, December 26, 2022

Odds and ends

There have been a fair amount of cards trickling in in ones and twos, not enough for a post by themselves, but enough to fill one out all together.

Everyone's been posting their 1991 Fleer holiday gifts from Baseball Card Breakdown. Here is mine:

Here it is without the Santa overlay. I'm the rare person who actually likes the yellow borders on '91 Fleer, but this is a fun variant. Thanks Gavin! (And now I know why he asked me for some 1991 Fleer star cards a few months ago, for a "special project". Glad to have helped with it.)
Everything else here was a cheap eBay pickup. I broke my rules for a $2 1971 Topps Willie Mays. The seller had worded it very poorly. Mays's name was nowhere in the title or description, so my bid ended up being the only one. It's a semi-high number of an all-time great, so I'm happy to pick up a pretty good copy so cheaply.
On the other end of the spectrum were these 1988 Kmart cards. 1982, 1989 and 1990 Kmart seems to be very plentiful, other years much less so. It's hard to tell in the photo, but the red of the card bleeds into the white areas alot, most notably in the Kmart logo. It's like white socks that were washed with a red shirt. Still, for a buck, it was nice to get some cards I still needed from the era when I first collected.
Sometimes you just have to grab cards you've never seen before. Ordinarily, I'd never spend a dollar on just three modern cards, but these bright pink Broder-style Bo Jackson cards were certainly worth it. In person those borders might be the brightest I've ever seen on a card. I think these are my favorite cards in this post.
Last one here is a panel of cards from a 1991 Baseball Cards Magazine issue. Whole thing cost $0.20 shipped. I've got a soft spot for those unlicensed ripoffs of vintage Topps designs. I already had Jefferies but the rest were new to me. And yes, I cut them out after taking the photo.
The backs are worth a look too, with some pretty good cartoons, especially for Jefferies and Zeile.


3 comments:

  1. Holy moly that Mays is a steal at 2 bucks! Nice pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love stumbling across a poorly worded eBay listing... especially when it lands you a vintage Mays for $2. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mays was a stupid good deal! But like you, the Bo Broders are my favorite here. I haven't seen that particular design before; it's definitely different.

    Is your duplicate Jefferies available for trade?

    ReplyDelete