Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Wallet card at the Hoboken Bank for Savings

A couple of months ago I started a new job that is fully remote. That situation is great in a lot of ways but I do miss going into the city. The company I work for now does not even have a Manhattan office but they do have one in Hoboken, NJ. I'll rarely be going in but I did last week, and took a few walletcard photos along the way. (Hoboken is right on the other side of the Hudson River from Manhattan; a PATH train ride from Penn Station to Hoboken is much quicker than a subway ride to the Bronx or Brooklyn.)

The Hoboken Bank for Savings on Washington Avenue was built in 1929 (the bank was established in 1857). In the 1970s it became Washington Savings Bank, and through a series of mergers ended up belonging to TD Bank before closing this branch, which is now a Walgreens.

A Hoboken bonus: Not really worth it's own post, but I wanted to include the old enamel street signs on many buildings in Hoboken. They used to be all over NYC too but have been gone since the 1950s; I've done Wallet Card posts on them in the past. Cool to see them still in use here. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know that building! Used to go to Hoboken a lot, mostly to park and take the PATH into the city, but also to see shows at Maxwell's, shop for records at the long-gone Pier Platters, and occasionally teach a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing a Walgreens sign on that beautiful building is just gross.

    ReplyDelete