Sunday, December 19, 2021

Baseball and cards, but not baseball cards

I picked up a rather fun lot on a whim. I found a seller who had eight Sports Illustrated from the late 60's and early '70s with a $0.99 opening bid. All had covers with Hall of Fame baseball players. Shipping was $13, but the seller had generous combined shipping, so I looked and found a large starter set of '85 Topps football. I always like the design but never had a lot of cards from the set. I put a bid on each and ended up with no competition, getting quite a haul for about $15.

Last time this blog ended up being "baseball magazines come to life" I got very few comments so I assume there isn't a ton of interest in these, but if people want I can share some highlights from the insides in a future post. Here's what I got.

1966 - Joe Morgan (and Sonny Jackson). 

1967 - Mickey Mantle (and Ken Berry)
1968 - Rookie prospects for the upcoming season. (Don Pepper, DET; John Bench, CIN; Alan Foster, LAD; Mike Torrez, STL; Cisco Carlos, WSX). Love the bullpen car!
1968 - Al Kaline with Denny McLain
1970 - Johnny Bench

1970 - Hank Aaron

1972 - Johnny Bench

1974 - Hank Aaron

As for the football cards, I ended up getting very nearly a complete set, missing just five cards, and as you can see almost all the big stars. The only cards I still need are 79 (Eric Dickerson), 80 (Henry Ellard), 251 (Warren Moon RC), 321 (Raymond Clayborn) and 334 (Andre Tippett).





5 comments:

  1. I love old SI magazines but have to watch myself around them or I'll start collecting them and there's no room for that. I also love 85 Topps football and haven't seen much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool magazines; the Hank Aaron cover is classic.

    The 85 football set always intrigued me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much better the old covers with action shots look than those from the last couple of decades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some nice covers - the '66 Astros and Aaron's 715th in particular. Wish they didn't have address labels.

    '85 football is a nice-looking set for ho cards. And you got some stars obviously.

    ReplyDelete