Friday, December 10, 2021

Vintage Backgrounds: 1970 Dick Hall

I got this card in my recent vintage O-Pee-Chee haul and took a photo of it to use for this series because the background turned out to be pretty interesting. About a week later I got the Topps version of this card from Johnny.

Whenever I get a card like this I try to figure out who else is in the photo. The guy on the left is easy - Gene "Lurch" Brabender. Brabender was with the Orioles in spring training of 1969 before being traded to the Pilots on March 31. This could have been a spring training shot so no big deal. However, #9 on that Orioles team was Don Buford. That name on the back doesn't look like it says "Buford", and, while it's hard to be certain, this guy looks white too. I was a bit stumped, until I realized that this was Hall's second go-round with the Orioles. He was last with the team in 1966. Brabender was on that team too, and that year #9 went to Russ Snyder, and that name on the back looks like it says Snyder. I didn't realize it until writing this post, but I'm now pretty sure that's actually Yankee Stadium, not a spring training shot. So even though Hall was with Baltimore for all of 1969, Topps still used a shot from three years earlier. Hall is pictured as a Phillie on his '67 card; maybe if he'd stayed with Baltimore Topps would have used this photo then. (And still likely would have re-used it for '70.)


1 comment:

  1. Topps sure did you use a lot of old photos for their sets back then. I wonder how many kids actually noticed at the time though?

    ReplyDelete