Thursday, June 9, 2022

I paid seven cents for a 1967 Topps Hank Aaron. I might have overpaid.

22 vintage card for $1.50 shipped! Condition was a bit of a problem for this lot which was why there were no other bids, I guess. There was one big card, a huge one. But in REALLY bad shape.

Honestly it doesn't look quite as bad in person, and looks better than the eBay photo did. Other than using it as their wallet card, the original owner's big crime was to color in Hank's cap and sleeves. As you can see on Aaron's left arm, he traced first to keep in the lines. Some of the ink seems to have smudged over the years. Still, the card is intact and you can basically make out the photo. If another copy happens to fall into my lap I'll upgrade this, but for now I'm satisfied with this.

If you're curious, here's the back. A bit faded particularly around the cartoons, but not too bad. You can see the error where Topps duplicated 1961.

There were other cards I needed in the lot, including these two common cards.
Let's look at the back of Jackie Brandt's card. At first I thought it was a blank back, but if you look closely you can see just a bit of orange remaining. This must have sat in the sun for years. Interestingly, you can see more of the back in the photo than you can in real life. The word "GAMES" in the lower right is much easier to see in the photo than in person.
Two other cards that are definitely not commons. Hopefully the '55 Bowman Moose Skowron was just torn, and not chewed by a mouse, as Fuji suggested about another card recently. The '58 Hoyt Wilhelm has some noticeable paper loss, but not enough to really bother me.
14 cards I had already, so they are up for trade. Most are in better shape than the star cards above, but for any of these I'll trade away the best-conditioned version I have for any particular card.


8 comments:

  1. 7 cents to check off that box is worth it, I'd say. My dad's 1969 Hank Aaron isn't all that much better, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use the Boccabella/Cowan. Condition of that one would be fine. Probably have a '63 Topps to send your way. I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that lot for a buck and a half, worth it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $1.50 for a pile of cards and decent material to use in a nice blog post is a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use the '64 Jose Pagan in our future trade ... The treatment of that Aaron card is a little bit disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Aaron and Brandt cards are very cool. I've seen sun faded cards, but didn't realize it could fade it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even for seven cents I would've only bought it as a filler card for one of your sets :)

    ReplyDelete