Monday, June 20, 2022

Breaking the rules for the right Scooter

A while back I inexplicably forgot that I had a '54 Topps Rizzuto when I bought a small lot with it recently. This time, I broke my "rule" (this was almost a dollar a card) for a lot with a '56 Rizzuto as well as a bunch of '54s. I knew very well I didn't have a '56 Rizzuto. For quite a long time Al had a graded copy at his table, so I used to see that card regularly.

It's a bit scuffed up but overall pretty good. There was one other '56 in the lot, Gene Woodling who was a key player on the early '50s Yankees dynasty teams before being traded for Don Larsen. It's unclear exactly who the baserunner is on the Rizzuto card. It's clearly #31 but for what team? Well, if it's Cleveland, #31 would be . . . Gene Woodling!

A dozen older cards as well, all but one from 1954. No Hall-of-Famers but some big names like Ed Lopat, Harvey Kuenn and Al Rosen. I already had Eddie Stanky so that one is available for trade. These clearly came out of a scrapbook so I was a little concerned about the backs (there were no back photos) but they were in excellent shape, better than the fronts.


2 comments:

  1. I'd say the higher cost was well worth it in this case. The action on that Rizzuto card is great, and the Woodling connection is pretty cool if true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of familiar names in that lot. The secondary image on the Lollar is top notch!

    ReplyDelete