Friday, June 5, 2015

Brian Sprout on baseball cards

Brian Sprout played three seasons in the Dodgers organization. In 154 games he hit .268 with 17 HR and 69 RBI. Now the head coach at East Ridge High School in Cottage Grove, MN, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"Favorite player, favorite card. Ryne Sandberg rookie card. Was looking for one my whole life. While I was playing my rookie year in Fargo ND, I was at the Fargo mall and wound up, don't know how, in its basement. There was a watch/jeweler shop with some cards.I found his rookie card in that store.
My son is named after him. I watched him most days on WGN growing up. Loved his defense and power.Tried seeing him live at Wrigley twice, one time he retired, another time players went on strike. Finally saw him in Iowa managing AAA ball.
My Topps card is actually an error card. The picture on the back was that of my spring training roommate that never made a team, was released. That is my favorite because I actually signed a contract with the was paid, not much, but was actually paid for it. I have about 30,000 cards but have not collected in twenty years."
 

Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment