Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Vintage star cards roundup

A couple of weeks of interesting Greg Morris auction pickups. 

Two weeks ago I did particularly well in 1960 and 1962 Topps, but picked up a variety of pretty good cards from the 1950s through 1970s . . .

. . . plus one from 1909! A poor conditioned card of a guy who had a very brief career in the majors fell to me for $5. Not bad for what is now the oldest card in my collection. Hosea Siner played in ten games for the Boston Doves (later the Braves) in 1909. He died in 1948, yet has a surprisingly active Facebook page run by his grandson. It has posts like "Thanks for all of you who are posting on my site.  My bones are happily feeling joy.  I can't wait until I go to Heaven.  I was buried facing the East, so I'll be able to see the second coming."
Here's the back. Colgan's Chips were actually gum - I assume "chips" referred to the round shape which was unusual for gum. These would come in tins, and many collectors today collect the cards in the tins. I don't know what violet-flavored gum would have tasted like.
The card is very flimsy, basically shiny paper. It is also very small - here it is next to a standard-sized card for comparison.
Last week's winnings also carried a fun variety of American cards . . .
. . . and two Venezuelan! My first cards from each of these two sets. The '62 has a slightly darker back and no copyright date. The '68 is a little thinner and darker, and if you look closely at the bottom you will see "Hecho en Venezuela" in white. Venezuelan cards were meant to be stuck in a scrapbook, so paper loss on the back is not unusual.
A few other pickups this month include a '55 Rizzuto. Always happy to pick up a vintage Scooter!
'68 Carew that had eluded me for a while. With this and the '72 above I have his complete Topps run now.
Another cheap Aaron!
These five all came the same day from four different sellers. I'm particularly happy about the '68 Game card, as it completes that set for me. Clemente was surprisingly hard to get for that set, harder even than Mantle. Cheap base cards for Clemente and Banks are great too, and that All Star card is not as bad as it looks in the photo, it's just tape residue.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information on the Colgan's Chips card. I remember seeing Panini remakes a few years ago. Just assumed the originals were inserted into bags of chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That facebook page sounds like it's being done in very poor taste. Kind of disappointing to hear that a relative of his would be responsible for it.

    ReplyDelete