Friday, April 26, 2024

Cake or Gum? 1976 Pete Rose

Last time it was gum with the 7-2 victory. Who will win this time?

Two very different photos here. Hostess has Rose posing with a bat at Candlestick Park. Meanwhile, Topps goes in for a very tight close-up, so close we can see Pete's freckles.

Pete Rose, the hit king, needs no introduction for his outstanding career on the field and checkered life off of it. Most recently he has been in the news for publicly suggesting that Shohei Ohtani bet on baseball as he did. Meanwhile some Ohio lawmakers are sponsoring a resolution to demand that Rose be inducted into the Hall of Fame.


11 comments:

  1. I can't see gum not winning this time. The close up shot, the flip up sunglasses, the All-Star star...it's got so many great elements to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gum. The flip-ups seal the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gum easily. Iconic card from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be contrarian and vote Hostess. To me the Topps shot is a little too tight. Or maybe it's just that his shoulder blocks part of his face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gum. That's one of those photos I can clearly picture in my head.

    I hadn't heard Pete say anything about Ohtani until this post. Just watched his "interpreter" quote. This guy pulls me in so many directions. Like I loved the way he played hard and loved the game. And after decades of lying to everyone... I decided to focus on the positive more than the negative. But dang... he sure makes it tough when he runs his mouth like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gum wins this easily. I'd bet on it.

    ReplyDelete