Saturday, February 3, 2024

Clay Hensley on baseball cards

Clay Hensley pitched seven seasons in the major leagues for the Padres, Marlins and Giants. His best season was 2010, when he went 3-4 with 7 saves and a 2.16 ERA for Florida. He won a World Series ring in his last season, with the 2012 Giants. Overall in 271 games he went 28-34 with 10 saves and a 4.00 ERA. He is now an analyst for AT&T Sports Houston, COO of Caltex Energy, and is involved with numerous charitable organizations including Texas Team Foundation, Kathy’s Legacy Foundation, SEAL Future Foundation, The Charlie Hoffman Foundation, and Wounded Warrior Project. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I was a huge collector when I was a kid.   Had some awesome cards that I wish I could find that are in a box I think at my parents house.  Had Ken Griffey Jr's rookie card, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan etc,   autographed bat from Barry Bonds and even have two baseballs with David Wells, David Cone, Don Larsen and Yogi Berra signed on them.  Pretty cool.  Honestly over the years as a ball player we would always send stuff to have signed from guys on the other team when we played against them and they would do the same.   So I have 15 years of jerseys, balls, cards, you name it with all the awesome players I was fortunate enough to play against signed to me.  I’m a collector but it’s mainly all the stuff I come across now that I’m on the media side of things and some I keep and others I buy to use as auction items for my charity that benefits first responders and their families."


Thanks!


 

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see some of these items Hensley is talking about. It'd be cool if some MLB guys started blogs and shared stories about items they picked up throughout their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he comes across some really neat stuff for his auctions. And good on him for running that particular charity!

    ReplyDelete