Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Incoming roundup

Starting off with an eBay purchase. I picked up a small cheap lot of 1964 Philadelphia Football cards that was sold by the same guy I was buying one of the big baseball lots I purchased, getting combined shipping. The big draw for me was my first Cleveland Browns card with Jim Brown's pink Cadillac. The seller forgot to include the football cards, so when he mailed the '64s he threw in some nice extras, a couple of '74s I had, some '70s I mostly needed, and a 1960!

Everything else this week came from OBC. That stands for Old Baseball Cards even though these cards from Steve Sankner don't exactly qualify. These are my first nine cards from 2023 Series II. Once I got these I decided to add the rest of the set to my TCDB wantlist, as I still like to have a complete Topps set for each year. I immediately got two small trade requests, which made me realize I had no interest in completing this set in dinks and dunks. I had managed to knock out Series I in a large TCDB trade. I spent a little time trying to see if I could pull of something similar for Series II. I got about halfway through the alphabet on TCDB users with large numbers of cards from the set, headed over to eBay to see if I could get the whole thing for cheap, and ordered a complete 331-660 set for $25 shipped. In the long run saves time, probably saves money and certainly saves cards.
OK, now for some legitimately old cards. Mike Rich sent these four in a separate envelope the same time he sent the other four '64 Giants, but these arrived over a week later.
Randy Welk sent a fun mixture of a variety of vintage oddballs, including two variations of a 1970 O-Pee-Chee checklist, as well as a high number from 1970 and from 1971.
Brian "Tony" Levinson sent an amazing assortment of cards ranging from three 1951 Red Backs to some 1960s Hall of Famers.
Seven 1963s from Andy Blackburn. Always fun to see a four-headed rookie card, especially one with Reds on it.
Wayne Delia collects type cards, and needed to beef up his modern cards in that area. I'm sending him some 2018-present cards and he sent me 50 needs from 1958!
Peter Mead sent a nice assortment from 1959-1961.
Some more 1958s, this time from Larry Leonard. These look almost pack-fresh.
Three of the best hitters in the National League, circa 1965, from Steve Archibald.
Finally, the ever-generous Greg Henthorn sent some more really nice cards my way, this time a great 1950s sampler. My favorite is the '53 Hank Bauer Bowman Color. I actually picked up a reprint from 1983 in the Yankee dime box at the card show, with no idea that the real one was on it's way!

 

4 comments:

  1. That's a whole lot of vintage there. I wish you had said something about series 2 (or 1 for that matter). I had a dozen near sets (missing like 2-6 cards). Still have 9 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great cards in your post.

    I just picked up that Frank Ryan card, with Jim Brown's caddy, at a card show last Sunday in Syracuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting flooded with vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've gotten more cards from these people since joining their group than I've probably gotten in the last two years.

    ReplyDelete