Tuesday, October 24, 2023

1970s O-Pee-Chee lot

I picked up a cheap lot of 1970s O-Pee-Chee cards. I'll show what I got that I needed, then some trade bait, and then finally a cool non-OPC thing that was mixed in.

1971, 1973 and 1974 needs. For some reason OPC went with yellow instead of green on the backs in the early 70's. I do like how it makes the cards seem more different.

1975 and 1976. It appears the Great Canadian Green Ink Shortage was finally over.
A few '78s and '79s.
Trade bait 1974-1977. While I'm sure I can find takers for these in OBC, I'd like blog readers to get first crack. Let me know if you see cards you would lke.
Lots of 1978 to trade.
A few 1979s as well!
This card was mixed in with the OPCs. It looks like a regular Astros team card that someone took some scissors to.
But on the back, you can see it is a much lighter background than standard OPCs (probably why it ended up in this lot). In 1976 Topps had a mail-in offer for all the team checklists on one sheet. This would have been one of them, cut out from the group. In person you can also tell it's not a standard card because it is on thinner stock. This is my first card like this.

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm down to trade for the '78 Fairly, the '77 Rooker and the '74 Metzger, Oliver and Stelmazsek. I don't have many OPC extras but pretty sure I can find other want-list stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just check my OPC want list out and I'm down for a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '71 OPC's have one of the all-time great backs. That first photo is where all the action is, at least for me. If it's still available, and you don't mind setting aside another card, I'd be interested in the '78 Gene Tenace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to know more about the great green ink shortage that swept through Canada in the '70s.

    ReplyDelete