Monday, April 3, 2023

Thrift shop fun

I went to the thrift shop yesterday and bought some cards. Nothing else this time, no bottle caps, newspapers, etc. But there were lots of baseball cards that were not there this time, looks like they bought a collection. I filled an 800-count box for $10 and was happy.

You might call the thrift shop a "fleer market" because most of the non-junk wax cards were Fleer from the late 80s and early 90s. I can really bulk up my sets with these, mostly 2001 and 2004 commons and minor stars. There was a fair amount of duplication in the 2002 set, but I learned from collating that there was a "gold back" parallel, and I don't differentiate back parallels so those will be useful trade fodder. Anyone need those for team collections, PCs, etc?

I had to make some choices about what to keep and what to leave behind - I left behind a lot of 1999 Stadium Club and 2003-2005 UD. I couldn't resist sets from my collecting era where I still need lots of cards. Still needed about half of the '87 OPC, and almost all of the '91 Bowman. The Galasso set is a 1983 50th anniversary of the first All Star Game. The Black Diamond is just a nice shiny set, even if it's more of a ruby than black or diamond.
Minor league cards! I already have the famous Comstock card (trade bait!) but I needed almost all of the rest.
Some miscellaneous cards. I love finding shiny Score inserts and parallels from the mid-1990s, I thnk they are highly underrated.


13 comments:

  1. Ooooh some nice stuff there. '87 OPC and Fleer Platinum (the '81 design) caught my eye immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that's great stuff for $10. I now need to go see about those gold backs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pickups! I would have gone without the minor league cards, but to each his own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never see cards at my local thrift shops, let along OPCs, Galassos, and minor league issues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those early 2000s Fleer cards seem to be tough finds these days. I've never seen anywhere near that many in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have turned that down for $10.
    Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about hitting up thrift shops to find records. Sure hope I find cards like these too. The Comstock alone was worth the price of that box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a haul for ten bucks! Nice digging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had been trying to get a copy of the Comstock for a few years, but gave up looking once they started hitting $20 on eBay. That card should net you something pretty good on the TCDB.

    ReplyDelete