Sunday, April 23, 2023

Latest acquisitions

 Some cards that made their way to me the last few days . . . 

TCDBer corozco sent me a few needs from recent Topps setbuilds . . .

. . . as did Gapporin.
Easymoney2x is one of the site's top Rickey collectors, so no surprise to see some Rickey cards here. Barry Bonds with the sledgehammer is pretty great too.
I spent ~$5 on a large eBay lot of vintage and modern cards. I probably should have paid closer attention to the vintage cards, I was hoping I would need more than just the three I ended up with ('62 Schmidt, '71 Wood, '75 Popovich mini). Still some stars in the dupes that will make decent trade fodder, such as the very rough '77 Ryan you can see here. Others include '74 Billy Williams, '79 Gary Carter, and '80 Brett, Palmer, Morgan and Yaz.


 Still, the modern cards included a lot of fun, shiny cards I didn't have, so I ended up doing OK. There was even a relic card (Todd Helton) and an an autograph card (Anthony Banda). The Chris Pritchett Fleer Mystique card may be the most interesting of all.

Apparently, rookie SPs in the 1999 Fleer Mystique set had a peel-off layer on the front and back - this was the "mystique" of not knowing who was on the card. The Pritchett had the front layer gone but the back layer remains. I've looked up the back of the card, it's nothing special, so I'm definitely keeping the shiny foil on. Reminds me of the wrapping paper we often use for kids' presents.


4 comments:

  1. I'm kinda interested in the Johnny Lewis. Send me a message on TCDb if you see enough on my tradelist for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see at least one Diamond King card, I'm interested in knowing which one or ones you got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to think that you'll get at least five dollars back in trade from the non-keepers in that lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A while back I tried to peel the shiny protective thing off a Mystique card and it ended badly. Over the two decades parts of the sticker refused to come off, so leaving the coating might be the wise choice.

    ReplyDelete