Friday, April 21, 2023

Chad Kreuter shares his thoughts on baseball cards

Catcher Chad Kreuter played sixteen seasons in the major leagues for seven teams, mostly the Rangers, Tigers and Dodgers. In 944 games, he hit .237 with 54 HR and 274 RBI. Now working in sales at Scott's Golf Cards in Port St. Lucie, FL, he kindly responded to my questions about baseball cards with this statement. He even gave it a title!

"The Joy and Honor of Being Featured on Baseball Cards: A Former MLB Player's Perspective"

As a former MLB player, I've experienced many unforgettable moments in my baseball career. However, one memory that stands out is the thrill of seeing myself on a baseball card for the very first time. While there may not be any wild stories about baseball cards in my life, it has always been an honor to be featured on them.

Getting your first rookie card is undeniably cool. The feeling of accomplishment that comes from seeing your face and stats printed on a card is hard to describe. For me, it was a milestone that validated my hard work and dedication to the sport.

Interestingly enough, I was never an avid collector of baseball cards. My love for them began as a kid when I'd buy packs of cards that came with bubble gum. I'd eagerly open the packs to discover which players were inside, studying their stats, positions, and team affiliations. These cards allowed me to follow my favorite players both as a fan and as a student of the game.

One of my fondest childhood memories was attaching baseball cards to the frame of my bicycle, front and back, with the spokes just barely touching the cards. As soon as I started pedaling, the sound transformed my bicycle into an instant motorcycle. It was a simple joy that fueled my passion for baseball and everything surrounding it.

Over the years, my family members have framed and displayed all of my baseball cards together. I've always made an effort to sign cards for fans, and I continue to do so whenever someone approaches me with one. It's a small token of appreciation for the support and enthusiasm of the fans who have followed my career.

In the end, baseball cards represent more than just collectible items – they're symbols of the love and dedication we have for the game. Being featured on a baseball card is a privilege and an honor, and I'm grateful to be part of this cherished tradition in the world of baseball."

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. That was great! I hope that is the overall feeling of those blessed enough to make to that level. Especially like that you used a Rangers card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be the most thoughtful and extensive reply I've seen to these queries. Kudos, Mr. Kreuter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard Orel Hershiser say that one of the first signs that you've made it in MLB is getting your own baseball card. That's the power they still have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Chad should have a blog of his own :)

    ReplyDelete