Wednesday, April 5, 2023

1981 Topps Twins Future Stars

 

Dave Engle

The player: Dave Engle came up with the Twins as an OF/3B in 1981. He moved to catcher in 1983 and had two good seasons as Minnesota's #1 catcher, earning an All Star selection in 1984. He struggled with injuries after that, and bounced around with Detroit, Montreal and Milwaukee, playing his last big league game in 1989. In 594 games he hit .262 with 31 HR and 181 RBI.

The man: Engle's brother-in-law is former Twins star Tom Brunansky; Brunansky married Engle's sister. After his career he spent some time coaching, and has been a long-time scout for the Orioles.

My collection: I have 18 of his cards, from 1981 to 1988. I would be interested in trading for 1989 Brewers Police NNO.

Greg Johnston

The player: Outfielder Greg Johnston played for the Giants in 1979 and the Twins in 1980 and 1981. In 63 games he hit .188 with 1 HR and 8 RBI.

The man: Johnston was known as "Scar" due to the large scar on the left side of his face, the result of getting hit by a garbage truck when he was a child. Topps used a photo where you can't see that side of his face. His other Topps card was black-and-white so it's hard to see there, but you can see it in other photos of Johnston. He has kept a low profile since his playing days. So low that even one of his children is looking for him with no luck.

My collection: I have four of his cards, from 1978 to 1981. I would be interested in trading for 1979 Cramer Phoenix Giants #10.

Gary Ward

The player: Outfielder Gary Ward played for the Twins, Rangers, Yankees and Tigers from 1979 to 1990. He was an All-Star for the Twins in 1983 and the Rangers in 1985. I remember the Yankees bringing him on as a free agent in 1987, my first full year following baseball. He was not a star but a good, solid player. In 1,287 games he hit .276 with 130 HR and 597 RBI.

The man: Ward had a long career as a coach in the White Sox organization, and appears to now be retired. His son Daryle Ward had a long MLB career as well.

My collection: I have 58 of his cards, from 1980 to 1991. I would be interested in trading for 1988 Sportflics #125.

4 comments:

  1. I remember being a fan of Engle when hit over .300 in '83. Never knew he married Brunansky's sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stuff on Johnston is odd. It makes me sad when people don't want to be reunited, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

    ReplyDelete