Sunday, November 21, 2021

Vintage backgrounds: 1971 Topps World Series subset

Flipping through my '71 set looking at card backgrounds, I noticed something pretty striking about the World Series subset. I'm sure I'm not the first notice but I couldn't find any other mentions of it on the internet. Can you guess?

All of the photos used in the cards for Games 1 through 5 (the O's knocked off the Reds four games to one) were taken from press-box level, above the third base dugout, at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Games 1-3 have photos taken of action at home plate, while Games 4 and 5 have the photographer looking the other way, towards third base. Darrel Chaney is catching a foul pop by the stands on the Game 4 photo, and Game 5 of course is the famous Brooks Robinson Tatooine card.

There is also a card of the Orioles celebrating; that photo was taken at field level.


1 comment:

  1. That's something that I never would've noticed, and even after it's been pointed out, I still have a hard time seeing it. Hard to believe too that folks (i.e. you) are still able to find new things to talk about from this set after all of these years!

    ReplyDelete