Monday, November 22, 2021

Cards and vintage stuff: baseball and sports-related matchbooks

I recently picked up a sports-heavy matchcover lot. Here are some highlights.

Here are a few of them. The 79-80 Trailblazers cover is very shiny in person, as is the mid-60's Astrodome cover. The Giants matchcover has a '65 schedule on the back. Two copies of Brett Hull's restaurant, so one is available for trade, as are the Mets cover and the Bull Zuber cover, which I have already. The baseball card collector in me is variation-conscious enough that I consider those two Dodgertown golf course covers different enough that I want to keep both.

A really nice one for Lefty O'Doul's restaurant in San Francisco. O'Doul was a longtime player and coach and is up for consideration in the next round of Hall of Fame Veterans Committee voting.
There were a lot of college-related covers I didn't photograph, but I had to include this one of a funeral home really invested in WV Mountaineers football.
Anyone collect vintage hockey? Just like in baseball, in the mid-1930s Diamond Match put out hockey "cards" similar to their baseball issues. So I consider this a "card" and as I don't collect hockey, this card of Black Hawks manager Clem Loughlin is available for trade. Interesting writeup on the back. He is "of the old school of hockey" - Loughlin's pro hockey career started in 1910!

I also picked up a Long Island/NYC-centric lot which featured a couple of relevant matchbooks.

Greg Buttle played for the Jets in the late 70s/early 80s, a bit before my time. However, he had a gym near where I lived, so I was always aware of him, as it was the only business around owned by a former pro athlete. Apparently he also owned a restaurant nearby at some point, as I learned from acquiring this matchbook.

This low-key matchbook just says Rusty's. You would never know from looking at it that it was actually the restaurant owned by former Met Rusty Staub. It's typical of his modest demeanor. Staub was a beloved Mets icon in the team's rough years in the late '70s/early '80s.



2 comments:

  1. That Lefty book is pretty cool, it appeals to my inner leprechaun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lefty O'Doul is already in the Hall Of Fame - the Japanese Baseball Hall Of Fame in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete