Monday, November 8, 2021

Vintage backgrounds: 1971 Topps Frank Quilici

I'm up to 1971 in this series now. Flipping through my '71's, I couldn't find many cards to write about. Not because the backgrounds aren't interesting - quite the opposite, being the first Topps set with real action photography, it has probably the best background photos of any set up to that time. As a result, a great many of the cards have been covered well by others - like the many cards from the Helmet Day weekend at Shea Stadium, which gave many of the most famous photos in the set. Others I've covered previously, like my personal favorite, Dal Maxvill's card. Night Owl's Topps 1971 blog is the definitive authority on the set on a card-by-card basis.

The photography in the set is so engrossing that I really enjoyed looking through the set with fresh eyes, even though I didn't come up with much blog material. There are lots of great cards where it's just fun to look at the action, and the activity behind the subject, whether it is other players or the fans in the stands. I did notice one thing which was interesting and doesn't seem to have been written about before, that will be another post. For now, just this card of Frank Quilici. By 1971 Topps had mostly stopped recycling photos from previous years, but in this case, the photo seems to have been taken in the same session as the card I blogged about last time. Quilici is kneeling now, giving a slightly different angle with different players in the background (I spy Jim Nettles). Most importantly, bath towel guy is nowhere in sight.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment