Friday, November 19, 2021

1981 Topps Elliott Maddox

The front: Looks like the Cubs are in the visitors dugout. Maddox played in six home games against the Cubs in 1980, with five hits in nineteen at bats.

The back: Maddox had eight hits in 21 at bats as a pinch hitter in 1979. That means in non-PH at bats he hit just .256. 

The player: This is the final tribute card for a player who struggled with injuries but was a dangerous bat when healthy. His best season was 1974, when he hit .303 for the Yankees.

The man: Maddox was known for speaking his mind and not being afraid to voice unpopular opinions. He was vocal in support of the civil rights movement, which made many older baseball men uncomfortable, most notably giving a black power salute in the last game at RFK Stadium. In 1975 he converted to Judaism, later saying "I always considered myself a good two-strike hitter. Being black and a Jew I got the two strikes. So, now I can handle anything.” After his career he worked in banking, owned an ice cream parlor, and was a foster care counselor.

My collection: I have 17 of his cards, from 1971 to 1981. I would be interested in trading for 1975 SSPC Yankees #10.

No comments:

Post a Comment