Wednesday, September 11, 2019

1981 Topps Tony Scott

The front: I believe this is Shea Stadium.

The back: Scott became a switch-hitter after struggling in the minors. “It didn’t take long before my batting average went up 60 points”, he said.

The player: Scott spent eleven seasons in the majors as a part-time outfielder for the Expos, Cardinals and Astros. In 991 games he hit .249 with 17 HR, 253 RBI and 125 SB.

The man: Scott had a difficult childhood, one of nine children in an impoverished family in Cincinnati. His father died when he was 12, and he lost an older brother in Vietnam. After his playing days he had a long coaching career in the Phillies organization and now appears to be retired.

My collection: I have 21 of his cards, from 1976 to 1985. I would be interested in trading for 1984 Mother’s Cookies Astros #20.

No comments:

Post a Comment