Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tom House on Baseball Cards

Tom House pitched eight years in the major leagues for Atlanta, Boston and Seattle from 1971 to 1978, going 29-23 with 33 saves. His best season came with the Braves in 1974, when he went 6-2 with 11 saves and a 1.93 ERA, yet his most famous moment that season came when, sitting in the Braves bullpen, he caught Hank Aaron's record-breaking 715th home run. Since his retirement, he earned a Masters and PhD in sports psychology and became one of the most successful pitching coaches in the country, most famously working with Nolan Ryan in Texas. A co-founder of the National Pitching Association, he is the pitching coach for the USC Trojans, one of the country's best college baseball progams. He kindly responded to my request for his thoughts on baseball cards.

" Ugliest card ever?
My first Red Sox card. Topps photo shopped Red Sox uniform and hat over Brave uniform and hat before Photoshop was a technology! Result speaks for itself!!
All my cards are my favorites. Just glad I have a few in circulation but no, I do not collect cards."

Thanks!

1 comment: