Friday, January 8, 2010

Interview with Phil Hiatt

Phil Hiatt played fifteen years of professional baseball, including four seasons in the majors with the Royals, Tigers and Dodgers. In April of 1993, his first month in the major leagues, he led the Royals in RBIs. He now owns the Triple Play Party Center in Cantonment, FL. He kindly took the time to answer my questions about baseball cards.
- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
The first story that comes to mind about baseball cards is the time I was given 7 days to sign 10,000 cards for $10,000. It sounded like an easy thing to do, but of course I waited till the last 2 days and it was unbelievably hard. It honestly permanently ruined my penmanship.


- Do you collect baseball cards?

I have a few of some of my favorite players.


- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
I actually have 2 favorite cards. The 1993 3-D Upper Deck and 93 Flair Fleer.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I love your mini-interviews with players, though it makes feel a little strange collecting things that the people pictured don't even collect themselves...

    Also, I used to LOVE those "3-D" cards from Upper Deck!! The Canseco and Griffey from '92 Upper Deck were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card (it's on my banner). Awesome insight in the interview. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also cool when players are trying to find their old cards that they apparently didn't get when they were playing. I was just researching Pirates bust Austin Manahan and found that he was signing stuff in exchange for his cards to give to his kids.

    ReplyDelete