Sunday, January 3, 2010

Schooled by The Greatest 21 Days

There is a great new blog called The Greatest 21 Days (a reference to the movie Bull Durham) that chronicles the 1990 CMC minor league set. I aways figured I knew what that set was - cards that look like this:

Turns out that it also includes these cards, which I always thought were another set called 1990 ProCards. Apparently its actually the second edition of 1990 CMC.

Apparently its the little number on the bottom, not the big one on top, that you follow. I thought it was card 1030 in 1990 ProCards; actually it is 785 in 1990 CMC.

What is even more confusing is that I have a couple of cards with the 1990 ProCards design but don't have the little number in the border. As they are both Columbus Clippers cards and have an ad for the "Paper Mint", which is a Columbus-area version of the Pennysaver, I guess it was a local set produced for the Clippers.

You learn something new every day, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin makes a reappearance on the blogopshere! Mmahat rules (except for his Yankeesness)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the mention and the comment. Those numbers had me confused at one point myself.
    I didn't know about the unnumbered cards. But I just checked and Willie Smith is in the CMC set, but in the green and yellow AAA style.

    ReplyDelete